Shockwave TherapyFor Treating Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendinopathy
Using Shockwave Therapy to Solve Heel Pain and Achilles Pain
What Is Shockwave Therapy and How Can It Help Me?
Here at Eclipse Foot Clinic, we are always trying to improve the results that we get when treating our patients. Never is this more important than for those cases of heel pain and Achilles pain. Often, these have been going on for months, sometimes YEARS! Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT) has been used for many years in the treatment of these chronic conditions, showing an excellent response rate in clinical research.
How Does Shockwave Therapy Work?
Shockwave Therapy is delivered using a machine that generates low-energy soundwaves through your skin to the site of the injury. It has been extensively researched and is recommended by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) for the treatment of Plantar Fasciitis. It has been shown to reduce pain levels and accelerate healing times. It does this by:
- Increasing blood flow to the surrounding tissues
- Triggering healing processes caused by Stem Cells
- Reduces the action of certain nerve fibres, thus lowering pain
What Can Be Treated?
There is evidence to support Shockwave Therapy in the treatment of:
- Heel Pain (plantar fasciitis)
- Achilles Tendon Injuries
- Shin Pain
- Stress Fractures
- Mortons Neuroma
- Osgood Schlatters
- Delayed Bone Healing
What to Expect
What Are The Risks?
- You will experience some pain during the treatment, but you should be able to tolerate this
- Following the treatment, you may experience redness, bruising, swelling and numbness to the area. These side effects should resolve within a week and before your next treatment.
- There is a small risk of tendon rupture or ligament rupture and damage to the soft tissue. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) have deemed this procedure to be safe. For this reason, every patient will be monitored before and after the treatments to discover how successful the outcome is.
- Studies have shown there is UP to 80% chance that it will be effective.
How Do I Know I’m Getting The Best?
To ensure we get the best possible outcomes, we have invested in the most highly researched, evidence-backed Shockwave Machine available. This is manufactured by EMS Medical, the Swiss company that invented Shockwave Therapy for musculo-skeletal injuries.
Who Cannot Have Shockwave Treatment?
You should not have Shockwave Therapy if you:
- Are pregnant
- Have had a steroid injection to the site in the last 6 weeks
- Have a blood clotting disorder
- Are taking any anti-platelet or anticoagulant treatment
- Have been diagnosed with bone cancer
- Have an infection in the region of the treatment
- Are under 18 (with the exception of Osgood Schlatters)
How Many Sessions Will I Need?
The most recent research points to how long you’ve had your injury for as to how many sessions may be required. If for example, you’ve had pain for between 6 weeks and 3 months, typically 3 sessions are required. For those with pain over 6 months, 6+ sessions are sometimes needed.
Our Specialist Podiatrist will assess your response after each session to determine how many more treatments may be needed. Treatments are spaced 1 week apart, as Shockwave Therapy has a cumulative effect.